POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : stacked planes method : Re: stacked planes method Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stacked planes method
From: Rune
Date: 11 Mar 2002 10:53:22
Message: <3c8cd2f2@news.povray.org>
"Jan Walzer" wrote:
> this is only a quick hack ...
> I tried to "port" your quick-grass to media ...

Hehe, I'm not sure you know what you're doing. The vertical strands of grass
in my fast grass trick are an illusion. They're entirely caused by the
special pattern used, not because of stacked planes. I only use stacked
planes to mix different shades of strands and to make the grass at the
horizon a bit fuzzy.

As you have copied the pattern used directly, the strands of media grass
you're seeing in your scene also are not vertical. They're sort of painted
on the ground like a texture, and using media to achieve this make no sense
at all IMO.

I'm not saying that the media method don't work, but in order to justify it,
it must have some advantage over the texture method, and i have yet to see
that.

There are three goals you could go for:
- making the media method faster than the texture method.
- making the media method look better than the texture method.
- making the media method overcome the problems that the texture method has,
so for example it looks right when the camera is moving.

Anyway, I'd be interested if you plan to develop your method further...

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)