POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : milky glass problem : Re: milky glass problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:27:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: milky glass problem
Date: 27 Feb 2002 03:32:07
Message: <3c7c9987@news.povray.org>
> You know.. Isn't it funny when a week after having the idea of subsurface
scattering

Thank you for your interesting link.
Unfortunately I am not talking about subsurface scattering. I need a think
which is like thick fog but blurres the background heavily so that no
contours come through unless they are very very close to the surface.
Additionally it should emit light when lit from the background.
All this (beside blurring) matches good on scattering media. The only
problem I have is, that the object is very thin. It is so thin that I
currently modelled it by using a mesh/triangles. To make it realistic it
must stay very thin (in reality approx. 1/10 to 1/8 mm). Having a scattering
media in such a small object forces me to make it very, very thick to be
visible at all. However, this blows up my PC's processing capacity so I
decided not to use it.
Maybe it will come up again when I model thicker objects. But up to now I'll
use filtering on the texture as it was up to now.
Due to the explanations of Ron I could make it run and it was quite
realistic. Unfortunately the interior doesn't work on triangles of meshes,
just on unions of triangles which would increase memory usage and slow down
rendering.

 > This being probably the 30th time someone has posted it. ;) lol

Sorry, still 29 times since the subject was just unluckily chosen. Sorry.
regards
SY