POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Color changes depending on direction : Re: Color changes depending on direction Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Color changes depending on direction
From: bob h
Date: 8 Feb 2002 05:38:02
Message: <3c63aa8a@news.povray.org>
"Pabs" <pab### [at] NOzSiPpAMto> wrote in message
> For a while now I have been seeing cars* with paint jobs such that if you
> look at them from one angle & then from another the colour changes. The
ones
> I have seen are purple at the front, fading to orange around the sides
(not
> sure if this the best way to describe this). It is like the colour is
> dependent on the difference between the angle of the observer and the
> surface normal?
>
> Anyone else seen these cars/know how they do it?
> Maybe something similar to iridescence?
>
> I'm thinking that in POV u might be able to get this effect by some
> combination of fresnel & metallic & metallic reflection.

My Moms car is a Buick and it has the purplish color over dark green.  I
noticed it right away when I first saw it several years ago.
It can be done, about like you said but use a two layer texture containing
reflections that have opposing min, max values with different color vectors.
Trying to remember if those can go into the min,max directly or if metallic
is needed for the vector.  Could be either way maybe.

bob h