POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Palm trees from primatives : Re: Palm trees from primatives Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Palm trees from primatives
From: bob h
Date: 7 Feb 2002 03:42:27
Message: <3c623df3@news.povray.org>
"Wanderer On The Road" <non### [at] fakeaddresscom> wrote in message
> Ok, I was wondering if there was a reasonably easy way to make palm trees
> (well specifally the leaves) from povray primatives with csg, blobs or
> whatever. Basically I want to hand code everything in the scene that I can
> and am stuck on the palm leaves. Anyone have any ideas?

Not one of the more particularly "advanced" questions seen in this group.

Sure, CSG of spheres or cylinders in a #while loop could make palm fronds.
Just clip a section out then transform into place along a spine which could
also be simply a section of sphere or cylinder.  Depends on how near you
expect to be looking at it but if from far enough away it wouldn't matter
how thin the parts are.
The most difficulty (but not too much so) would be aligning the individual
leaf segments along the spine.  They are most always ellipses and not
perfect circled curve segments.  Scaling would go the same way.

bob h