POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : gradient ? : Re: gradient ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gradient ?
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 20 Jan 2002 11:05:44
Message: <3c4aead8$1@news.povray.org>
"Christoph Hormann" <chr### [at] gmxde> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Jan Walzer wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > My question: Do you see any chance, that we can access the internal
(faster)
> > gradient-function of POV
> > as it is probably the case for trace(), or at least a simple macro (doing
> > this in SDL-Space) that comes
> > with functions.inc in Pov3.5 ? ...
>
> It is possible with type 1 displace warps in megapov, in Povray 3.5 you
> can easily make a macro for that (or a function if you only want the
> length of the gradient vector), but it would be slower of course, on the
> other hand the displace warp code uses 7 evaluations and often 4 would
> probably be sufficient.

I haven't read so much 'bout displace-warps, but I'd also like to stay
3.5-compatible.
But currently I've no idea, what I've to do with the 4 samples I took ...

Therefore my question, if there is one macro out there (somewhere), and if it
would be possible,
to include it into functions.inc for one of the following versions ...

I didn't post it to beta-test, becase it's a feature-request,
but probably some of the responsible persons are reading here, too ...

--
[Talking about cardriving]
"People are opstacles?