POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Curve fitting a function with a cubic spline : Re: Curve fitting a function with a cubic spline Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:14:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curve fitting a function with a cubic spline
From: Christopher Johnson
Date: 17 Jan 2002 20:57:50
Message: <3c47811e@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> Unfortunately I don't have to to investigate
> this, but you can try this search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=curve+fitting+3rd+degree+polynomial+%22
cubic+spline%22

> Btw.:
> Are you thinking of using _one_ or _several_
> cubic splines to interpolate the function ?
>

> Tor Olav

I'm trying to get away with using a single spline.  The function curve
should be fairly simple under most if not all conditions.  My recent
attempts have been aimed at placing control points at the peaks, troughs,
and zero crossing points of the function.  It works to a degree but I need
to make the peak,trough,zero routines more accurate and rework how it
determines the first and last point in the spline.  Thanks for the link, I
managed to dig up some old SIGGRAPH papers on the subject today as well.

Chris