POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Curve fitting a function with a cubic spline : Curve fitting a function with a cubic spline Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Curve fitting a function with a cubic spline
From: Christopher Johnson
Date: 17 Jan 2002 01:28:02
Message: <3c466ef2$1@news.povray.org>
I've been searching around the web on this one and I'm stumped

Say I have a function that is continuous between two defined points.  Which
method should I use to pick control points to fit a cubic spline to the
function.  I've found information on the least squares method but I'm not
entirely sure how to proceed.  The function is two dimensional.  0 to 1 on
the x axis and 0 to 1 on the y.  The function plots are close to linear from
(0,0) to (1,1) with a small amount of drift that can't be ignored.  It's the
deviation from linear that I'm interested in so i can't just assume it's
linear.  It may be that I've just stared at the problem blindly for too long
but any help would be appreciated

thanks
Chris