POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Normalizing a quadratic spline : Re: Normalizing a quadratic spline Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normalizing a quadratic spline
From: Christopher Johnson
Date: 13 Jan 2002 22:58:37
Message: <3c42576d@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <noo### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> I hate to ask a question of someone who's asking questions themselves, but
> could you point me to a place that explains (or explain yourself) how
cubic
> splines are interpolated? I'm pretty sure they're split up into three
cubic
> functions - in the X, Y, and Z directions, but what I'm confused about is
> when two adjacent points have the same X value; doesn't that cause some
zero
> or infinite slopes or something? I dunno, I probably have it all wrong. A
> little help?
>
> - Slime
> [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]
> [ http://www.slimeland.com/images/ ]

To put it simply (maybe too simply) it's not just one function.  It's parts
of different functions blended to fit the control points.  The reason you
can have say two points with the same x or y or z is that it's not evaluated
with those terms.  The spline is evaluated as 0 at the begining to 1 at the
end.  If your looking for the blood and guts math explanation, you'ld have
to check a good computer graphics text on that.  Hope that helps some.