POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Nested objects limitations : Re: For all those who actually answered! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:13:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: For all those who actually answered!
From: Andrew
Date: 5 Jan 2002 20:57:17
Message: <3c37aefd@news.povray.org>
> > Animating millions of objects nested inside of each other is, well,
> > just plain silly.
>
> Nope. Imagine animating millions of objects, and COINCIDENTALLY, they
overlap!
> A particle-system is also meant to use thousands of objects for major
effect, for what
> else? (okay, I am being a little pushy) ;)
>
> Also, my main problem was concerned with about 200 objects, not
millions of em... ;)

I don't suppose there's any clever way you could define the density map
for the media without all the overlapping spheres, is there?  As in,
provide the density for a large container object that is the same as
several smaller spheres, then use considerably fewer of these specially
created container objects.  Instinctively, though, this would
immediately suggest greatly increased render / parse / scene-writing
times unless it is a trivial matter...