POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Transparent plane with non-transparent shadows? : Re: Transparent plane with non-transparent shadows? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparent plane with non-transparent shadows?
From: Anders K
Date: 7 Dec 2001 19:01:19
Message: <3c11584f$1@news.povray.org>
>   Thinking about how the raytracing/lighting algorithms used in povray
work,
> I have the feeling that it's not possible.

Yeah, I was afraid that would be the case...

Although I realized it might be possible if transmit/filter could be
included in a light's color, not just rgb. Then you could "shine" the
transparency onto the plane. Of course, this makes no sense physically, but
it could still be useful.

>   It might be possible using other methods than lighting calculations. It
may
> be possible to make a copy of the object and apply a proper
semi-transparent
> black pigment to it. Then this object is skewed and scaled properly so
that
> it looks like projected onto the plane. This way you would have an actual
> object which looks like the shadow of the original object.

This is an interesting idea -- I'll try it. Do you think that by making
several semi-transparent copies scaled in the right way, you could simulate
an area light?