POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Order-8 Polys, and Beyond : Re: Order-8 Polys, and Beyond Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Order-8 Polys, and Beyond
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 6 Dec 2001 01:25:22
Message: <3c0f0f52@news.povray.org>
Bryan Elwood wrote in message <3c0dc948@news.povray.org>...
>I wonder if there is a way to get the developers to tune this up.  I would
>sacrifice speed for accuracy.

Yes.  It'll require compiling a custom version of POV-Ray.

By default, the root-finder iterates until either it gets "close enough" to
the root, or 50 iterations have been done.  For most polynomials under most
conditions, if the root finder hasn't found the root after 50 iterations,
it's close enough that the image will still look good.

On line 82 of the file "polysolv.c", it should say
#define MAX_ITERATIONS 50
To increase the maximum number of iterations of the root solver done, change
the 50 to whatever number you want, and then recompile POV-Ray.  I'd
recommend 500 or 1000 for starters.

--
Mark