POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Order-8 Polys, and Beyond : Re: Order-8 Polys, and Beyond Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:26:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Order-8 Polys, and Beyond
From: Bryan Elwood
Date: 5 Dec 2001 02:14:16
Message: <3c0dc948@news.povray.org>
"Mark Wagner"  wrote:
> You'll have to figure out the order for the
> coefficients yourself...

Thanks Mark,

I used Poly2Pov to get the coefficients automatically.  I actually shot my
first "octic" after posting.  It did render, but it was extremely speckled.

> I'm not sure how effective the root finder
> will be with high-order polynomials.

Not very good.  And I explicitly called the Sturmian root solver, even
though it's automatic for higher orders.

I wonder if there is a way to get the developers to tune this up.  I would
sacrifice speed for accuracy.

--
Bryan Elwood
bel### [at] airmailnet