POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Order-8 Polys, and Beyond : Re: Order-8 Polys, and Beyond Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:30:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Order-8 Polys, and Beyond
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 5 Dec 2001 01:41:15
Message: <3c0dc18b@news.povray.org>
Bryan Elwood wrote in message <3c0d33d1$1@news.povray.org>...
>Hi Group,
>
>Has anyone had any success rendering a Poly of order-8, or greater?  The
>help file says order-7 is the maximum.  I have been reading a piece of
>literature that talks about using a ray tracer to graph high-order
>polynomials.

If I've read the POV-Ray source code right, the "poly" object supports
polynomials up to order 15.  You'll have to figure out the order for the
coefficients yourself, though, as the manual only presents it up to order 7.
Additionally, I'm not sure how effective the root finder will be with
high-order polynomials.

--
Mark