POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Projection types of the camera : Re: Projection types of the camera Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Projection types of the camera
From: Andreas Zehender
Date: 5 Nov 2001 16:10:06
Message: <3be7002e@news.povray.org>
Jan Walzer wrote:

> Are lookuptables still needed today for these usages ?
> AFAIK first-person-shooters and thelike are using the FPU of the current
> processors, so there shouldn't be the need to "accelerate" the program
> this way....
> (of course, these games are using mostly a perspective camera)

I think so. You have much more vertexes than first person shooters in a
modeler. Rendering the wireframe of the chess2.pov example takes half a
second on my TNT 2 and a 433 celeron with a perspective camera.
And the perspective camera uses only simple transformations.

I think calling trigonometrical functions for each vertex would be far too
slow (didn't tested it yet)

--
 Andreas Zehender, Dipl. Ing. (BA)
 Student, 9th semester computer science