POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : is a one-way-transparent glass possible? : Re: is a one-way-transparent glass possible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: is a one-way-transparent glass possible?
From: N Shomber
Date: 30 Jun 2001 13:58:57
Message: <3b3e1361@news.povray.org>
"Markus Becker" <bec### [at] aicossde> wrote in message

> > hello!
> >
> > Is it possible to define a plane
> > which is transparent for light only in one direction and doesnt appear
> > as object at all  ( it mustn't be seen!) and it mustn't be reflective on
> > both sides.
>
> Just as a remark: there is no glass in reality that you can only
> look through in one direction. It all depends on the lighting
> on either side of the glass...
>
> Markus

Actually, this type of object does exist in reality.  It is usually called a
one way mirror.  (Found in stores with offices on the side that can see out
into the store without the shoppers knowing they can be seen)  It works by
using a flat (not shiny) reflective coating on one side of a piece of glass.
This is the best description I can think of off the top of my head.

N Shomber