POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Flowing algorithm? : Re: Flowing algorithm? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flowing algorithm?
From: Rune
Date: 19 Jun 2001 06:48:11
Message: <3b2f2deb@news.povray.org>
"Peter Popov" wrote:
> Let's define the height-field as (default orientation):
>
> y = F(x,z) for x,z in [0; 1]

Sorry, I should have mentioned that my system is a generic one that is
supposed to work automatically for all POV-Ray objects. That means that
basically the only information I have to work from is what I can get from
the trace function and possible from the object pattern.

> Then we define a force field like this:

I've worked with force fields before and they usually cause me some
problems. One has to make sire the force of the force field is greater than
the sum of all the other forces in the simulation. But if the force field is
too strong is causes the particle to fly up into the air.

> If any particle happens to fall beneath the surface of
> the height field, it will be brought back after an
> iteration or two.

Ah, that's another problem. In the few iterations where the particle is
below the surface it will seem to "disappear". Considering that in a flowing
simulation the particle will be in contact with the surface almost all the
time, the particles will be constantly disappearing and reappearing,
possible causing flickering too.

If you want a bit more information about how my current system works and
what may be the problem, have a look in povray.binaries.animations in the
thread "Flowing Water take 4".

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated May 10)