POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Wind question : Re: Wind question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wind question
From: Duncan Gray
Date: 4 Mar 2001 12:19:22
Message: <3aa2791a@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote:
> I have implemented wind in my particle system, but I'm not sure it's
working
> correctly. <SNIP>

Sounds like your wind might be directly accelarating the particles (via the
drag factor). Should this effect be divided by a factor of the mass of the
particle to reflect it being a force rather than an accellaration ?

As the drag is related to the area (i.e. radius^2) and mass is related to
the volume (radius^3), you should be able to get away with dividing the wind
effect by some factor of the blob size.

Maybe not entirely accurate, but I think it would tend to make the tiny
water droplets get blown further off course than the larger (heavier)
droplets. I guess it should work in reverse also, for a particle stream shot
at say 45 degrees from horizontal, with no wind, the lighter particles will
tend towards the wind direction(i.e. none) more than the heavier particles.
i.e. the heavier particles will travel further.

I'm not sure, but I think this is the effect I would expect to see.

--
Duncan Gray
(warning: may contain traces of nut)