POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Wind question : Re: Wind question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wind question
From: Rune
Date: 3 Mar 2001 22:54:14
Message: <3aa1bc66@news.povray.org>
"Margus Ramst" wrote:
> Hm, well I'm far from a physics expert, but this is how I
> see it:
> If you have two linear, directional forces, both constant,
> you should have constant acceleration in both directions.

I believe that too.

> So AFAICS this means the trajectory would be linear.

Yes.

> However, if I'm not mistaken, the faster an object moves
> in the direction of the wind, the less it accelerates,
> until acceleration stops when the object's velocity
> reaches wind velocity.

Correct.

> Also, gravitaional acceleration will not be constant, it
> will be reduced by air resistance until acceleration
> stops when air resistance equals gravitational pull.

I know that in my implementation the air resistance does slow down the
gravitational acceleration. But I don't know if it does it correctly.

> The trajectory should still be linear if the reduction
> in acceleration (derivative of the acceleration curve)
> is equal in both directions.

At this point I can't figure it out any more.

> Otherwise, it would only become linear once terminal
> velocity is achieved in both directions.

I figured myself that movement should be linear once terminal velocity was
reached, but I can't find out if it should be before...

Anybody know it?

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 28)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org