POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : collision detection : Re: collision detection Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: collision detection
From: Tom Melly
Date: 23 Feb 2001 09:01:25
Message: <3a966d35$1@news.povray.org>
news:3A965EBF.EDD947E8@gmx.de...

> Rendering in this case does nothing more than searching for intersection
> in a certain raster like the method i suggested. The problems are the
> same, if the intersection is too small in relation to the render
> resolution or the object is not visible in the render camera, the result
> will be wrong.  Furthermore scanning the whole camera angle is much less
> efficient than scanning only the intersection of the bounding boxes.

Ah - a couple of thoughts occur.

1. If the intersection is too small, I suppose for most purposes it can be
ignored since it won't be apparent to the observer that something went
wrong.

2. What will happen to "off-stage" collisions? Does your suggestion
calculate collisions even if the relevant objects are off the screen and not
reflected? Would mine?