POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Random number generator needed ! : Re: Random number generator needed ! Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random number generator needed !
From: Rune
Date: 21 Feb 2001 11:46:21
Message: <3a93f0dd$1@news.povray.org>
"Geoff Wedig" wrote:
> > wouldn't it work to make a relative small array, and then
> > use averages of different numbers from the array?
>
> Those wouldn't be equally distributed though.  The mean of
> three uniformly distributed numbers is not uniformly
> distributed.

Yes, I realised that...

Maybe instead of averaging I can just add together and then use mod() on the
result. It may cause a kind of repeats in the pattern, but it should be
possible to reduce it to a minimum.

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 28)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org