POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Normal vector deformation : Re: Normal vector deformation Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normal vector deformation
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 14 Jan 2001 19:23:00
Message: <3a6242e4@news.povray.org>
Rune <run### [at] inamecom> wrote:
> The solution I posted myself actually turned to work perfectly after all.
> The strange results I was getting were caused by a bug a somewhere else in
> my macro.

In effect, you're deforming the plane defined by the current normal at the
point of the current vertex.  For the most accurate results, I guess you'd
use the derivative of your deformation function - in the general case, using
small distances along the plane should be fine.

And yes, as you've found I didn't take this into account when creating the
mesh deformation macros in the Compressed Mesh Macro File.  My only defence
is laziness - and when I first created the macros I only had one mesh that
didn't use smooth triangles, so it didn't bother me much!