POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Normal vector deformation : Re: Normal vector deformation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normal vector deformation
From: Rune
Date: 13 Jan 2001 19:07:50
Message: <3a60edd6@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" wrote:
> Try something like:
> #declare SmallValue = 0.01;
> #declare dN = vnormalize(Deform(P+V*SmallValue) - dP);
>
> In other words, deform the point and a second point a short
> distance along the normal from it, and use the direction from
> dP to the new point as your normal. This should work in most
> circumstances, and you could decrease SmallValue for more
> accuracy.

Nope, I've already tried that, and it doesn't work.
Imagine a box deformed by a shearing matrix. The normals on the skewed sides
should change, but they won't using your method. I think I need several
points for reference (two points forming vectors perpendicular to the normal
vector?), but I haven't had any luck so far.

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 6)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org