POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Deforming meshes to bones : Re: Deforming meshes to bones Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Deforming meshes to bones
From: Rune
Date: 28 Dec 2000 11:25:45
Message: <3a4b6989@news.povray.org>
"Ben Birdsey" wrote:
> the deformation at each mesh point was a weighted sum of the
> deformations due to each bone.

That's what I thought of too. Actually my 2 next questions "Matrix question"
and "Distance to line segment?" was related to this.

> I guess the trick is to determine what the weights are.
> The automatic method they outlined in the book had to do with
> assigning the weights by comparing the values of some
> ellipsoidal density function

My approach is something similar, though probably not as sophisticated.

The problem I'm having now is how to handle all the information. For every
single point in the mesh the weights for the different deformations have to
be found. It's a lot of data, and it takes a while to calculate. Either the
calculations must be done for every frame in the animation (which is very
slow), or they'll have to be stored somehow (but how?). None of the two
options seem nice to me, so I don't really know what to do...

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated December 17)
/ Also visit http://www.povrayusers.org