POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : should be normal weighted ? : Re: should be normal weighted ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:27:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should be normal weighted ?
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 5 Dec 2000 04:19:29
Message: <3a2cb321@news.povray.org>
Josh English wrote in message <3A2BE07B.9EE186F8@spiritone.com>...
> Using Warps read me file for his mesh smoother, I find that
normalizing
> the normal vectors of each triangle, then averaging them, works the
> best. Of course, if you are using the vcross command to find your
> normals, remember that the length of the resultant vector has a length
> of the dot product, which will be at it's maximum when the vectors are
> orthogonal (ie, 90 degrees apart).

thanks. little more about my problem
I play with specialized patch for non-linear deforms
I have builded mechanizm to implement different types of deformations
geometry is supported ok but problem is with normals
first I thought just simple - (un)deform IPoint and IPoint+INormal
and calculate new normal
but this isn't correct -
therefore I discover such method:
find INormal and IPoint
find N points around of IPoint (with very small distance)
points are on flat plane perpendicular to normal
(un)deform points
now they are not on plane
calculate new normal

this mean that my virtual smooth triangles are very small
I leave simple averaging normals
real problem will be with inherited nonlinear transformed textures....

ABX