POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Pattern-Arithmetics : Re: Pattern-Arithmetics Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pattern-Arithmetics
From: Daniel Schwen
Date: 12 Nov 2000 03:21:50
Message: <3a0e531e$1@news.povray.org>
> A real hologram? Then it is not onion patterns regardless of
> appearance.
You're right, I just use the onion pattern to determine the phase phi(i) of
point source i, but then add the fields vectorial (plus reference light)
sum(sin(phi(i)))^2+sum(cos(phi(i)))^2
That only works for holograms of discrete point sources (glowing dots). For
that I already need sizes of abt. 8000x8000 pixels to see the pattern.

> If you want to create a hologram of an image they you have to calculate
> the phase interference sum at each point of the image of the rays from
> all parts of the image. For an image of 1000 pixels that is 1000 phase
> dependent rays per pixel.
Right, that would be nice, but again, to get reasonable results the
resolution must be much higher, and for a b times b pixel picture that's a
b^4 order problem. It would thke months to render.

> They can only be calculated correctly for a
> single color, monochromatic light.
That is true in any case. I'm trying to create a transmissive hologram by
taking a picture of my printed picture on bw film. That shrinks the size
considerably and gives me a nice diffracting high resolution pattern, which
I can aim my HeNe laser at.