POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Preferable OS for fastest rendering? : Re: Preferable OS for fastest rendering? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:28:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Preferable OS for fastest rendering?
From: Xilo Musimene
Date: 18 May 2003 21:11:17
Message: <3EC82F28.8070207@hotpop.com>
> E.g. for PC i32:
> - DOS
> - W98
> - W2K
> - WXP
> - Unix * v*.*
> - Linux * v*.*
> - ...

Since the code to build povray is almost exactly the same for every
versions of Povray, it'd say the biggest bottleneck is with the system.

I'd say (though I don't have any true data about this) that Linux would
be the fastest of all.  (Forget about Unix on a PC, and I'd say DOS is
pretty obsolete now)

Why?  Simply because I've tried many things that are exactly the same,
games like Unreal Tournament would run much faster on Linux instead of
WindowsXP.

I also get higher frame rate when running my own home written programs
on linux instead of WindowsXP.

Another good thing about linux is that at some time (about a year ago) I
started an animation render, the animation was a 1 minute (1500 frames)
of pure psychedelism, a camera looking through a lens at a wonderful
scene, my computer was render 24/24h, 7 days a week at 100% capacity (oh
and my CPU was overclocked, 433->527Mhz!) and this for about 30 days
without any kind of problems.

(At the end I had to cancel the render because after 30 days it was only
at 50 frames!)

But frankly, I wouldn't bother changing OS for speed, change OS for
suitability; I personnally prefer Linux...

Hope this helps..
   Xilo

--
Dedicated to audio/visual and interactive artwork.
http://www.geocities.com/simonlemieux/