POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Holograms : Re: Holograms Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:27:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Holograms
From: Ken
Date: 7 May 2003 22:03:33
Message: <3EB9BAE2.77607E95@pacbell.net>
Andrew Coppin wrote:

> Questions, questions...
>
> Does anyone know the physics behind holograms?

For a wealth of resources on the physics and technology behind
those snazzy holograms visit - http://www.holoworld.com/

> More to the point, can I draw one with POV-Ray? :-)

Not directly. You could generate a pattern (image) in POV-Ray but you
would still need the laser technology to actually produce a physical
working hologram.

With sufficient effort you could probably figure out a way to simulate
one in POV-Ray but I wouldn't know where to start. You may want to visit
Rune's site and see what he did to create his compact disk object. The
iridescence seen on a CD is caused by the same basic principals behind
holograms.

http://runevision.com/3d/include/include.asp

--
Ken Tyler