POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why?... Because!! : Re: Why?... Because!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why?... Because!!
From: fidel viegas
Date: 27 Mar 2003 11:55:11
Message: <3E832AFC.5000005@nodomain.com>
Andrew Coppin wrote:
>>With VHDL you write your hardware with software. Then there are two ways
>>of writing programs in VHDL, one is for testing purposes, which works
>>pretty much like your emulator written in c or c++, but it runs
>>concurrently and it has got timers, etc...
>

> Sounds really cool... I gotta check this out... (Oh yeah - I said that
> yesterday too, didn't I? I'm a busy person sadly....)

If you are based in London, then try to check this bookcase shops around

I got one on verilog and it comes with the foundation tools. Then you
need to buy the actual programmer device and the appropriate FPGA chip
for you project.

>>Once you compile it, your
>>compiler will generate logic gates interconnected to generate your
>>circuit. Then you just transfer that to an FPGA IC and that's it. you
>>are done.
>

> So you mean if I buy the right stuff I can actually have running silicon???
>
> (Well, actually it's Germanium these days isn't it? Or is it? I have no idea
> really...)

Yep, you can have the whole NES system on a single chip. (this includes
the graphics processor or PPU (pixels processing unit) as it is called.)

All the best

Fidel.