POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why?... Because!! : Re: Why?... Because!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why?... Because!!
From: fidel viegas
Date: 26 Mar 2003 03:31:46
Message: <3E816383.602@nodomain.com>
Andrew Coppin wrote:
> Glad I'm not the only crazy person on this earth ;-)

I wouldn't say crazy because the CPU I did was an assignment for the
advanced digital design module.

>>As for you project, I think it was a good idea to generate the stuff
>>with povray.
>

> Yeah, building hardware is fun, but software is way more convinient...
> Especially for testing!

With VHDL you write your hardware with software. Then there are two ways
of writing programs in VHDL, one is for testing purposes, which works
pretty much like your emulator written in c or c++, but it runs
concurrently and it has got timers, etc... The other program you write
is for the actual generation of the hardware. You create an interface,
which tells how the your device is composed inside and then you write a
behavioural model to test the funcionality of the circuit and once it is
working to your satisfaction, then you write the architecture module
which is where you connect all the circuitry. Once you compile it, your
compiler will generate logic gates interconnected to generate your
circuit. Then you just transfer that to an FPGA IC and that's it. you
are done.

Anyway, keep up with your inventions. Have you got screenshots of your
povray renderings?

All the best

Fidel.