POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why?... Because!! : Re: Why?... Because!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why?... Because!!
From: fidel viegas
Date: 25 Mar 2003 04:29:15
Message: <3E801F7D.2060906@nodomain.com>
Rohan Bernett wrote:
> Andrew Coppin wrote:
>
>>>The obvious next step:  port MAME to SDL.
>>
>>Port whatty?!?
>>

> MAME = Multi Arcade Machine Emulator
>
> I haven't used it personally, but it's supposed to be really good. I've
> heard there are even ports of it for several consoles.
>
> Well, here's something even loonier than making an emulator in SDL: Make a
> whole game in it. Just imagine Warcraft III or Duke3d with raytraced
> graphics! Drool drool drool! Pity, no current computer is fast enough to do
> it in real time.

SDL is not a 3D engine nor a drawing API. It is mostly used as an
alternative to directx, but that works on several platforms.
To render 3D stuff, you need OpenGL. I don't know if the Windows version
does support Direct3D as well, but the Mac version, which is the one I
am using, only supports opengl because Direct3D is a Microsoft thing.

As for making the games, I don't quite understand what you are trying to
say. There are loads of games written in SDL. But this are tile based
games. For 3D games they use opengl for the rendering side of it and SDL
is used for the sound, keyboard, joystick, system initialisation, etc...

There is a version of Tron which uses SDL and OpenGL. Just have a look
around the web.

As for MAME it is implemented in SDL (at least the Mac version is).

As for the raytraced thing. There are loads of games that use real-time
raytracing. Have a look on the web and you'll see.

All the best

Fidel.