POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Why?... Because!! : Re: Why?... Because!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why?... Because!!
From: Mark Weyer
Date: 13 Mar 2003 04:21:17
Message: <3E7050AB.7000607@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
> The new docs for PV3.5 contain a tutorial which shows you how to write a
> raytracer using POV-Ray's SDL... Far out man! A raytracer simulating a
> raytracer!!!
>
> I think I may have just gone one better. Man, I bet someone else has already
> done this tho |'-[ What have I done? I've only used the SDL to create an
> emulator for an 8-bit computer!!!

I think this is more useful than the tutorial project (as a project
that is, not as a tutorial). Imagine you want to render an animation
of an arcade hall. Instead of pre-calculating animations that you
display on the arcade machines' screens you can use the parser to
calculate what is on screen and even let it interact with the
animation's characters. All you need is the arcade machine's or home
computer's ROM image. Very useful. On the other hand I find a
raytracer implemented in SDL not very persuasive. What would make
sense is a raytracer implemented in the home computer's machine code...

--
merge{#local i=-11;#while(i<11)#local
i=i+.1;sphere{<i*(i*i*(.05-i*i*(4e-7*i*i+3e-4))-3)10*sin(i)30>.5}#end