POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles : Re: Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles
From: Mark Weyer
Date: 29 Nov 2002 10:39:43
Message: <3DE78C86.171B378C@frege.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>
> If you have a light source almost tangential to the surface it doesn't
> illuminate much and one almost normal to the surface gives high
> illumination. So, if all the samples are weighted the same you want most
> samples from the normal direction and few from tangential to give the
> best estimate.

Ok, that explains it. As a purist I was assuming you take an
even distribution and weight the samples with cos. But it would
be hard to sell that to running-time-theists...

> I suppose it could be, and I've thought about doing this. However you
> would have to calculate an array for each level of radiosity recursion
> because the code reduces the number of samples taken at each subsequent
> recursion level. And the results wouldn't be very different anyway.

The way Christoph was putting it, you reuse an initial segment of the
array. My current approach would be to build in a precomputed array
for everyday use with the possibility to replace it by something larger.

  Mark