POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity-Patches : Re: Radiosity-Patches Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:13:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity-Patches
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 12 Sep 2002 15:51:59
Message: <3D80F060.A080F575@gmx.de>
Rafal 'Raf256' Maj wrote:

> "Tim Nikias" <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote in news:3d804800@news.povray.org
>
> > So, can either someone point me to a section in the docs
> > which I've overseen, or explain some more in detail how it
> > works?
>
> basicly - using
> error 1 nearest 7 and count 30 gives smooth shadows but ignores detalis
>
> error .5 nearest 8 and count 200 gives details but sometimes artefacts are
> visible
>
> error .4 nearest 9 and count 1000 gives both details and smooth gradients

No, you can't generalize what are good settings for radiosity.  This
enormously depends on scene geometry and textures.  I'd suggest trying the
parameters in 'rad_def.inc', they were designed to produce fairly fast and
often quite reasonable results and are a good starting point to test how
modifications improve things in an individual situation.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______