POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Spring-Algorithm : Re: Spring-Algorithm Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spring-Algorithm
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 8 Sep 2002 09:46:58
Message: <3D7B54D1.19F2616B@gmx.de>
Tim Nikias wrote:

> I want to avoid heavy oscillation, but still have a string swing nicely
> back and forth. Right now, by strings either oscillate violently and
> swing back and forth, or they move smoothly, but come to an almost
> complete stop when settling to a hanging-state.
>
> The more iterations I take (and moving the nodes much less per
> iteration), the smoother everything moves, but the less swinging I get.

This is clearly an indication that you have to use smaller integration
steps (unless there is some flaw in your code of course).  If the
integration step size is of the same order as the oscillation frequencies
of your system you are likely to get problems.  As Peter said you can
either weaken your springs or improve integration.

BTW, hair is a typical example of a very stiff system: low masses and very
low elasticity in longitudinal direction (and even worse at the same time
high bending elasticity).  On the other hand hair has very strong internal
damping which usually simplifies simulation.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______