POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : stacked planes method : Re: stacked planes method Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:26:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stacked planes method
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 9 Mar 2002 08:58:56
Message: <3C8A153C.4035A023@gmx.de>
Stacked-Planes is a simple method to create clouds.

Imagine taking a cloud, and cutting it into slices. Each
such slice is represented by a plane (or disc, something
2D) and given a texture with some areas totally transparent,
and others just a little.

By putting at least 20 planes spaced evenly somewhere
(like beginning at 20 Units high, going to 40, and placing
a hollow plane every unit using the same texture, but
applying the texture AFTER the plane is positioned),
you get something looking 3D, as long as you don't look
too close.
Oh, and don't forget to put double_illuminate into the
plane, it's needed for correct shading (when switched on,
sort of ignores inside/outside of objects)

Here's some code:

#declare Loop_Value=0;
#while (Loop_Value<20)
 plane{y,20+Loop_Value hollow
 pigment{bozo color_map{[0 rgbt <0,0,0,1>][.4 rgbt <0,0,0,1>][.5 rgbt
<1,1,1,.6>][1 rgbt <1,1,1,.6>]}}
 double_illuminate
}
#declare Loop_Value=Loop_Value+1;
#end

camera{location <0,1,0> look_at <0,10,30>}
light_source{<100,200,-500> rgb 1}

You can also have a look at my homepage. The newest image in my standards
gallery is entitled "Worldbowl", you'll find a ZIP and explanation File (both
sent
to the IRTC for this round) there. There's some more advanced coding and
texturing for the technique...

--
Tim Nikias