POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to tesselate? : Re: How to tesselate? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:14:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to tesselate?
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 31 Jan 2002 03:23:27
Message: <3C58FF22.8A990518@atosorigin.com>
Tim Nikias wrote:

> > Can you provide your book's reference ?
>
> I guess something got wrong with the way I formulated my
> intents. I do not have any book, nor any useful reference found
> yet, and I'm asking for just that.

But you write earlier:
>>> I was strolling through a book-store these last days and found
>>> a book on 3D-Raytracing, the techniques and math behind
>>> it, as well as programming etc.

So, sorry to bother you, but I was really interested about this kind
of books... Just to get ideas of what can be done with a mesh,
because I'm just one step ahead with the mesh generation, but unless
there is some deformations, using a mesh is not really exciting.

> As to the formulars and algorithms, I thought about
> tesselation first,

If you went to my page, you can have seen four approaches:
 - two based on Warp patch, using insideness test and tracing ray on original
   (tesselate and tessel, which differs mainly by how the cube holding the
    tetrahedrons is replicated to fill the bounding box.)
 - two based only on insideness test (cristal and cubicle, which
   differs by the number of possible normals).

Of course, if you have any other ideas, you're welcome to share...

--
Non Sine Numine
http://grimbert.cjb.net/