POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity experiment - any takers? : Re: Radiosity experiment - any takers? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity experiment - any takers?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 15 Dec 2001 07:29:06
Message: <3C1B41CC.A9C07F68@gmx.de>
Peter Popov wrote:

> [...]
>
> Basically it all comes down to tricking POV into gathering more
> samples in areas where one wants them. Since one has no direct
> per-object or per-area control over radiosity, what we need is a trick
> to introduce such controlled sampling.
>
> Fortunately, POV provides the means for such a trick. It's save_file
> and load_file together with the simple format of the radiosity data
> files.

Another possibility would be to allow variable radiosity settings
somehow.  The different values could be steered by a user defined
function, maybe similar to a texture:

#declare Rad_1=radiosity { ... }
#declare Rad_2=radiosity { ... }

global_settings {
  radiosity {
    function { ... }
    radiosity_map {
      [0 Rad_1]
      [1 Rad_2]
    }
  }
}

Of course fixing a possible bug (like Warp mentioned) is more important
than implementing such a method but anyway this could be very useful.

Another variation of this 'variable radiosity' thought would be to
automatically calculate radiosity more precisely in shadows than in
directly lit areas.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>