POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fresnel : Re: Fresnel Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fresnel
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Nov 2001 03:30:11
Message: <3BECE593.4083C4F5@gmx.de>
Slime wrote:

> This question applies to 3.5...
>
> So, what exactly the "Fresnel reflectivity function?" What sort of
> calculations are going on with this? And it seems to create variable
> reflection... is this more accurate than normally specifying two reflection
> values? I'm just wondering what this keyword is really *doing*...

Have a look at:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/freseq.html
http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu/~dzierba/P360n/KPAD/Exps/Fresnel/fresnelnote.pdf

Normal variable reflection has a linear transit between min and max
according to the cosine of the angle, if you use a higher falloff value
you can get pretty much similar results, but note that the fresnel model
depends on the ior of the material.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>