POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : sphere triangulation controlled by int : Re: sphere triangulation controlled by int Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:28:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere triangulation controlled by int
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 8 Nov 2001 04:05:54
Message: <3BEA4AE9.2BD4771C@gmx.de>

> I was used 3ds years ago. The last version I used a lot was 3ds release 4. I
> remember from this application there were two possible triangulations of sphere.
> First one is easy and base on spliting angles "verticaly" and "horizontaly" just
> like coordinates of earth are provided. I looking for algorithm of second way.
> IIRC the number of faces was simple controled by int and was equal to power of
> this int (^2 or ^3). I tried spliting base triangulation (4 faces) along edges
> but this not returns equal triangles. I tried find some equations from
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GeodesicDome.html but there is no formula depending
> from single int like with 3ds. I'm not interested with algorithms with n-points
> distributed on sphere. I have it. Could anybody help me?

There are of course an infinite number of possible tesselations of a
sphere, the best results can be expected from a method producing nearly
equilateral triangles.

I'm not sure what exactly you want, but see
http://www.cris.com/~rjbono/html/dome_res.html for some more resources.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>