POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Torando : Re: Torando Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:30:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Torando
From: Simon Lemieux
Date: 13 Jun 2001 20:22:11
Message: <3B280509.A38EF41F@yahoo.com>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Ron Parker wrote:
> >
> > On 13 Jun 2001 16:51:59 -0400, Ron Parker wrote:
> > >What this says is that I searched my entire archive of off-topic (26515
> > >articles) in a second or so.  That includes subjects, authors, bodies,
> > >and everything else.  Surprisingly, nobody has mentioned the word
> > >'qwyjibo' there yet.
> >
> > Oh, yeah, this is a Pentium 200 with 96M of memory and a Quantum Bigfoot
> > hard drive.  The search would go more quickly on a machine with some
> > horsepower.
> >

> But you are using an index that was generated before, a sequential search
> through all files would take much longer even on a faster machine.

I doubt it... having all messages as text files with their names as the subject,
I could perform a pattern search through the whole text and it would give me
back the files that got that pattern but also the lines, having 10000 files of a
few kilo bytes would probably take a few seconds, 1-5 mins max...

time foreach f (`\ls News/*`)
> grep -n "My topic" $f

Although, this would be using the News directory of my system, but I use
netscape and therefore I can't search through files...  I'm thinking on using
some kind of fetchmail and fetchnews and use my plain old text programs such as
Emacs!

--
--
 Simon Lemieux  (lem### [at] yahoocom)