POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Polygon planarity : Re: Polygon planarity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:29:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Polygon planarity
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 31 Mar 2001 11:34:54
Message: <3AC6072F.6DE3DB95@gmx.de>
Eric Dowty wrote:

> There are several possible immediate solutions - I am thinking at the
> moment that I will convert the polygons to planes and use "intersection"
> to make polyhedra.  I use this already for drawing crystals, where the
> face equations (not corners) are the primary data.

You should know that this is a very slow solution in contrast to a
triangle mesh.  An intersection of many planes is one of the lowest things
you can have in povray if you don't use manual bounding.

> It would seem that the polygon option in POV-Ray does not really work
> unless the corners are set up in two dimensions - it is unrealistic in
> general to expect the user to supply 3-D coordinates to the tenth
> decimal (if in fact this would work anyway for general 3D points).   Is
> the planarity test really necessary?  Even if it is, would it not be
> possible to fudge the corners (within limits) to enforce planarity?

If you really want to use a polygon object, why don't you set it up in 2d
and transform it like Ron suggested.  The 'fudging' you suggested would
work exactly the same way.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>