POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Polygon planarity : Re: Polygon planarity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Polygon planarity
From: Eric Dowty
Date: 31 Mar 2001 11:02:36
Message: <3AC6004A.567C546A@shapesoftware.com>
Rune wrote:

> How about using several triangles instead of one polygon?
>
> Rune
> --

There are several possible immediate solutions - I am thinking at the
moment that I will convert the polygons to planes and use "intersection"
to make polyhedra.  I use this already for drawing crystals, where the
face equations (not corners) are the primary data.

It would seem that the polygon option in POV-Ray does not really work
unless the corners are set up in two dimensions - it is unrealistic in
general to expect the user to supply 3-D coordinates to the tenth
decimal (if in fact this would work anyway for general 3D points).   Is
the planarity test really necessary?  Even if it is, would it not be
possible to fudge the corners (within limits) to enforce planarity?

Eric