POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Wind question : Re: Wind question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wind question
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 3 Mar 2001 21:18:51
Message: <3AA1A701.6D47BAD2@peak.edu.ee>
Rune wrote:

> When I have just gravity the particles accelerate downwards. When I add wind
> from the side, the particles move downwards and to the side, accelerating,
> but in a straight line. When I use less drag, they move less to the side and
> when I use more drag they move more to the side. But always in a straight
> line. I'm can't figure out if it's supposed to behave that way or not? How
> should the particles move when wind is used?

Hm, well I'm far from a physics expert, but this is how I see it:
If you have two linear, directional forces, both constant, you should have
constant acceleration in both directions. So AFAICS this means the trajectory
would be linear.
However, if I'm not mistaken, the faster an object moves in the direction of the
wind, the less it accelerates, until acceleration stops when the object's
velocity reaches wind velocity.
Also, gravitaional acceleration will not be constant, it will be reduced by air
resistance until acceleration stops when air resistance equals gravitational
pull.
The trajectory should still be linear if the reduction in acceleration
(derivative of the acceleration curve) is equal in both directions. Otherwise,
it would only become linear once terminal velocity is achieved in both
directions.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee