POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : collision detection : Re: collision detection Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: collision detection
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 26 Feb 2001 09:43:41
Message: <3A9A6A2F.6DD1F6B6@my-dejanews.com>
Francois Labreque wrote:

> You can limit the number of traces necessary if you first find the
> min_extent and max_extent of your objects.

My volume macro relies on eval_pattern.   To the accuracy you require, it gives
you the volume of an object.  If you have "all day," it can sit there and tell
the intersection of two objects based on the volume of their intersection.

> Paul Jones wrote:
> How can I create a collision detection routine?

There are several applications where a "field repulsion" gives the desired
effect.  Are you shooting birds (true collision detection req'd) or do you have
a flock that's trying to avoid collisions?  If you have the latter, see:
http://www.geocities.com/pterandon/boids.html