POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Question for the Math Geniuses (Geniuii? Genies?) : Re: Question for the Math Geniuses (Geniuii? Genies?) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question for the Math Geniuses (Geniuii? Genies?)
From: David Fontaine
Date: 23 Feb 2001 22:11:16
Message: <3A9725F3.EDF82BA4@faricy.net>
Bryan Valencia wrote:

> A Million Thanks!

Hey, math is fun :)

> Where did you learn 3d Geometry?  I need to go there!

(cough) not in school...
I do a lot of math on my own. I think it was fractals got me into complex
numbers. Polyhedra got me into 3d trig. POV got me into vectors and matrices. I
just adapt 2d trig to work in 3d... find a way to make it two-dimensional.
Think orthographic camera. Like say, finding the angles on an octahedron: an
orthographic view of a vertex would be a square with two diagonals drawn
through it, giving you four 45-45-90 triangles. But you know these are really
60-60-60 triangles. It's a relatively simple matter of trig to measure the
triangles. An easier way would probably be to use vectors; consider that the

just summarize everything; knowing math and applying it are two different
things. It helps if you can think visually.

<rant>
My last four years of math were pretty mediocre, the first two of those
complete review (algebra in 6th grade)... finally, fortunately, I have calculus
(11th grade now) so I'm getting new semi-interesting stuff. I've pretty much
been soured on the matter though. Science especially, I feel I was misplaced. I
don't think I can enjoy school anymore until I get to college.

The whole instution I find purely repulsive; repressive, authoritarian (ungodly
authoritarian), unencouraging, unintellectual, uninterested, inflexible
(ungodly inflexible), discriminating, too arbitrary, narrowly focused and
overly sociopolitical. Now considering that I'm in International Baccalaureate,
somewhere the system went horribly wrong, and it was a long time ago.
</rant>