POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : povray for LINUX : Re: povray for LINUX Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray for LINUX
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 14 Jan 2001 09:32:29
Message: <3A61B7F9.A2D73641@videotron.ca>
Adam Gibbons wrote:

> yes some thing exactly like that.
>
> assuming i have no Emacs or povray on my linux machine.
>
> what files do i need and how do i go abotu installing and cofigering it all
> to work under SuSE linux.

You need to install the Emacs packages that came with your distribution
(I am not familiar with SuSE, so I can't help).  Emacs is an incredibly
versatile program (I have seen it auto-indent programs, automatically
close braces and parentheses, spell-check, mow your lawn,...) but also
incredibly complex to configure and very non-intuitive to someone who
comes from the world of Windows, there are whole books written only for
Emacs...  Don't expect to have everything set up in half an hour.

On the other hand, I have found that the vi that comes with Caldera
OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 has some generic syntax highlighting which is
enough for me.

You will also need to install Povray for Linux (which comes with a
xpovray binary).

> also can i jsut download a copy of XMegaPov ?? and install that ? to get
> what i want ?

No.  The Unix version of povray (and megapov) does not have the built-in
editor and windows and buttons and what not.  Even xpovray has to be
started by hand, but it will draw the output image in a windows (as in
Warp's screenshot)

--
Francois Labreque | Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a snooze
    flabreque     | button on a cat who wants breakfast.