POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Off Topic: HP-48 emulator : Re: Off Topic: HP-48 emulator Server Time
26 Sep 2024 17:44:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Off Topic: HP-48 emulator
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 11 Jan 2001 20:38:59
Message: <3A5E5F15.AB033F71@online.no>
David Fontaine wrote:

> Blasphemy!

Then enlighten me !
(Tell me more about the TI-89 :)

> Sounds like the TI-89, but, according to my dad TI calculators are less
> well constructed.

When the HP-48 arrived several years ago there
simply were no competitioners. No other handheld
calculators at that time did even come close to
what it could do.

But I haven't watched the evolving of other
calculators lately, so I'm not quite sure about
the situation right now.

> I couldn't help but notice 6.1 in the FAQ though:
> http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/docs/faq/48faq-6.html#ss6.1

Yes, I have heard that noise from some other HP-48s,
BUT NOT FROM MINE !

One interesting thing is that someone announced
that in addition to programming in RPL and Assembly,
it is now also possible to program it in C.

I think it also is possible to insert memory cards
into it with 1 MB or more with battery backed RAM.

And the HP-49 seems to have built in FLASH for its
firmware.

Right now I'm investigating the possibility to use
a terminal emulation program (VT52bis) running on my
HP-48 to log into servers through my Siemens C35i
mobile telephone (which has a built in ISDN/Analog
modem.)

And the HP48's IR-port can even be used for remote
control of TVs, HiFi equipment, etc.

Tor Olav
--
mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom