POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Deforming meshes to bones : Re: Deforming meshes to bones Server Time
26 Sep 2024 17:44:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Deforming meshes to bones
From: Ben Birdsey
Date: 28 Dec 2000 01:54:09
Message: <3A4AE430.BCC49ACB@mail.com>
I recently read an article in a book about 3D Studio Max.  The book I
read was in the University bookstore, but I'm sure that Barnes & Noble
or some other big chain store will have something similar.  Basically,
it said that the deformation at each mesh point was a weighted sum of
the deformations due to each bone.

	I guess the trick is to determine what the weights are.  The automatic
method they outlined in the book had to do with assigning the weights by
comparing the values of some ellipsoidal density function (kinda like
the method used to calculate the density function for blobs, so you can
determine the surface with a threshold.)

	That sounds simple enough, but they admitted that no matter how well
you calculate the weighting, there will still be a crease near the joint
of 2 bones if the deformation is large.

	I hope that helps.

	Ben
	<><