POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Simple math question : Re: Simple math question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple math question
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 24 Dec 1999 00:19:15
Message: <3A458755.4B549746@tapestry.tucson.az.us>
Well, I had this whole big thing typed out explaining step by step how I
found the formulas (so you could solve similar problems by yourself),
but Netscape crashes and I lost everything, so I'm just going to give
you the answers rather than type it all out again.

These formulas only work for a spindle tours.  r1 is the major radius
and r2 is the minor radius.

V = 4/3*pi*(r2^2-r1^2)^(3/2)

A = 4*pi*r2*sqrt(r2^2-r1^2)

I'm pretty sure that these are correct.  I hope this helps.