POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Converting Halos to Media : Re: Converting Halos to Media Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:14:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Converting Halos to Media
From: philhall
Date: 20 Dec 2000 15:03:30
Message: <3A41116E.42279D13@io.com>
Chris Huff wrote:
> media {
>     emission color White
>     samples 100, 100
>     //you will probably want to change the samples setting to
>     //something more like: samples 75, 125
>     //of course, the numbers depend on your scene...if you use
>     //MegaPOV and method 2 or 3, you can get away with much smaller
>     //numbers.
>     density {spherical turbulence 1.5
>             //use the "spherical" pattern to control the density
>         color_map {
>             //I don't know what you meant with the "t" channel,
>             //you will need to adjust the brightness of these colors
>             //to get the right results.
>             [0.0 color rgb < 1, 0, 0>]
>             [0.6 color rgb < 1, 1, 0>]
>             [1.0 color rgb < 1, 1, 0>]
>         }
>     }
>     rotate < 0, 90, 0>
>     scale < 0.6, 0.5, 0.6>
> }
>
> You can generally ignore ratio, variance, and confidence, the defaults
> are usually sufficient. Don't bother messing with transmit or filter,
> the brightness of the color defines the density, black is completely
> transparent. Try experimenting with emission media at first, it is the
> fastest rendering.

Thanks for your help. I'm getting slightly better results with your
advice but it still looks like a big splotch of color. I'm basically
trying to make a nebula type effect inside of a glass sphere. If density
is controlled by the brightness of the color, how can I get a nebulous
effect with vivid colors? Also, I don't seem to be able to get any
turbulence. Its more sort of rings of color that fade into each other.
Do you have any more advice or could you point me to some place that has
good examples and descriptions of getting this media thing to look good?

-Phil